Health Centre Manager - Galiwinku
- We’re one of Australia’s largest providers of Aboriginal healthcare.
- We’re engaging with health issues at a grass roots community level.
- We’re looking for passionate individuals who are ready to help change the future for Aboriginal healthcare.
What we stand for
With eight clinics and growing across East Arnhem Land, we’re providing health care services for over 6,000 Indigenous residents. Our Board of Directors represents communities across the region, ensuring every decision we make helps empower Yolngu people to take control of their lives and direct their own futures.
We’re connected by passion
We share a passion for the rich history of the Yolngu culture and a commitment to ensure that the work we’re doing is instrumental in ensuring self-determination for Indigenous peoples. We’re a people place where going above and beyond is in our nature. We’re not just offering jobs, we’re offering a way to shape Australia’s future. Do you share our passion?
We need you
Miwatj Health is pleased to offer this position as a permanent full-time opportunity. Based in our Galiwinku Health Centre on Elcho Island you will be working closely with our Aboriginal workforce and clinical staff which is critical to our clients success. You’ll be committed to finding the best way to communicate with our clients and our team in order to provide great care in sometimes uncertain circumstances.
You will work in collaboration with the Senior Nurse Manager to provide operational management and clinical leadership of a multidisciplinary health care team to improve the health and wellbeing of the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people across Elcho Island.
Core aspects of your role will include:
- Lead a multidisciplinary team and coordinate external health service providers to provide a quality and comprehensive primary health care service to the Galiwinku community.
- Undertake the day to day operational management, staff supervision and coordination of health service delivery at the Clinic.
- Coordinate and oversee the on-call roster to ensure coverage of all after-hours periods with a first and second RAN or AHP.
- Coordinate activities in collaboration with the Senior Nurse Manager and Regional CQI Coordinator relating to the accreditation process in a timely fashion, including conducting on-site surveys and self-assessments in preparation for external audits.
- Manage the operational budget of the health centre in consultation with the Senior Nurse Manager and the Director, Business Services to ensure appropriate financial management of the health centre resources.
- Ensure staff are registered, orientated to and use the PIRs and Communicare systems in accordance with the accepted protocols.
- Support the Senior Nurse Manager and the Regional Medicare Officer to ensure registered Communicare users are claiming the requisite Medicare items.
Whether working with a remote healthcare provider is in your bucket list, or something that is tried and tested, we’d love for you to reach out. East Arnhem Land offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of a community where the richness of Yolngu culture is in the air you breathe.
A competitive salary of $118,251 - $123,215 per annum (dependent on skills and experience) and a comprehensive range of benefits are provided including accommodation and a generous retention bonus with this full-time position.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
In order to deliver on our mission, we know that a collaborative, supportive team is critical. We’re looking for people who are committed to not only growing their capability, but willing to step in and support other team members and clients. Whilst knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is helpful, what will really see you thrive in our communities is an open mind, willingness to be exposed to culture, and curiosity. Before you reach out and apply, we need you to have:
- Unrestricted Registered Nurse status with AHPRA.
- Commitment to and understanding of the principles of Aboriginal Community Control.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a nurse manager of a remote health centre.
- Demonstrated advanced clinical leadership, change management and operational management skills.
- Minimum of 5 years broad and recent nursing experience and 3 years working as a remote area nurse.
- Post-graduate qualification in health management or similar.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the social determinants of health issues affecting indigenous people and how Primary Health Care principles apply in a remote Aboriginal community setting.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of Continuous Quality Improvement and their application in a primary health care setting.
- A demonstrated understanding of the evidence base for addressing preventable chronic diseases in remote areas, including both prevention and management.
- Experience in participating in emergency after hours call services.
- Current police check, OCHRE card and NT manual driver’s license.
Please click here to view the full job description.
For more information please contact the Miwatj Health Recruitment Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org and quote reference MHAC423.
Application close date: once the position is filled.
We’re proud to employ over 116 Yolngu employees and we are always looking to increase that number. If you’re Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and interested in this role you are encouraged to apply.